Domestic abuse is violent or abusive behaviours in an intimate, dependent or trusting relationship. Depending on the place and context, that could refer to family violence or intimate partner violence.
It can happen to anyone.
These behaviours can be physical, verbal, emotional or psychological, financial, sexual, spiritual neglect, control, force isolation, confinement, or stalking. These behaviours can happen in private or in front of others.
Resources and supports are available for anyone experiencing domestic abuse. Learn more about domestic violence and get help at alberta.ca/FamilyViolence
Using the link above Albertans can:
- Check whether their partner has an abusive past
- Get tips on how to stay safe if they are living in or planning to leave an abusive relationship
- Get financial help with costs to leave
- Get help to end their rental agreement without penalty
- Find emergency shelters and temporary housing